Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

I have a 2005 Tahoe and the service airbag light came on.

I have a 2005 Tahoe and the service airbag light came on. How do I re-set that light?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.

This light coming on like this indicates a fault has been detected with the vehicles air bag system components.The light comes on to alert to you a fault is detected by the air bag computer.

In order to reset the light a scan tool has to be plugged into your vehicle under the dash on the drivers side (you will see a data port sticking out).The scan tool has to be one that can communicate with the air bag computer in this vehicle in order to read out the code and erase the code to turn off this light.

If there is a code set the code will need diagnosed to locate the component at fault and then repaired to correct the issue then the code erased to turn off the light.If the problem that turned the light on is not fixed or is still present after you erase the code the code will reset or come right back again turning this light right back on again.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete