JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

Chevrolet: I have a 97 Chevy 1500 that the interior door handle

I have a 97 Chevy 1500 that the interior door handle keeps breaking. What causes this? Door pins don't seem to have excessive slop and have been replaced in the last 5 years...
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. are you replacing them with factory gm parts? or a Chinese replacement? from a discount parts store?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Umm both actually first one was factory and it broke about six months after install and so installed an aftermarket and it lasted bout the same.

does the linkage move freely is the latch binding?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No the door works fine when you put the new handle on but around six months it starts getting hard to open then it really goes down hill fast like this last time it only went a couple weeks and completely broke.

they are cheaply made, usually the latch is the cause if they keep breaking...I would lube the latch very well and make sure it works freely, the reason they break is because the latch is dragging from rust or corrosion or lack of lube, lube it up well and make sure it works freely, they are common to break ...but every 6 months is to frequent