Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Chevrolet 5.3 1500 silverado: oil pressure gauge gos to zero

oil pressure gauge gos to zero when truck warms up. seems to run fine 2010 chevy Silverado pick up
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

As long as there are no unusual engine noises, like knocking or ticking when the oil pressure drops, then most commonly in this case on this engine is a faulty Oil Pressure Sensor. These engines are well known for these sensors being faulty. When warm, the internal resistance of the sensor tends to fail and has a problem reading the oil pressure accurately or not at all. It's definitely a good idea to have the "actual" oil pressure tested with the use of a pressure gauge just to make sure there are no underlying internal engine problems. If the "actual" pressure is good, replace the Oil Pressure Sensor. It's located on the top, rear, driver's side of the engine. To gain the proper access, the Intake Manifold will need to be removed.