GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 plus years. experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.
70078276

Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 LT: have a 2002 chevrolet avalanche

have a 2002 chevrolet avalanche and am replacing the fuel pump. I have the tank dropped in the rear and am unable to disconnect the fuel lines in the front of tank to remove tank. I feel the clips to remove line and squeeze but nothing. Am I doing something wrong.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Bob replied 11 months ago.

GM Bob :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help

GM Bob :

Can you see the connector?

Customer:

Not the ones in the front but I can on the fuel pump its self and cant get those off as well.

GM Bob :

is this what you have

Customer:

It appears to be I have seen many videos on how to remove them and the only difference is that the videos make it look like there is a bigger tab to squeeze than what I have.

Customer:

I feel like I am doing something wrong because all the videos say 30 seconds to disconnect and I have spent 3 hours. Either I am doing something wrong or they are full of it on the time.

GM Bob :

Can you turn the connector on the line or is it seized

GM Bob :

They build up with rust in them

Customer:

I dont thin so, I see alot of rust around the fuel pump lines. Thoses I know I cant move, havent tried turning the front lines.

GM Bob :

can you do this

Full Size Image

Customer:

If you can give me 5 min I can go see if I can turn the front ones.

GM Bob :

spray some wd40 or some thing to break free

Customer:

Yes easily to the pump lines. If I get the pump lines off will I then be able to remove the tank to get the pump out.

Customer:

Or do I need to remove the front lines to get the tank out.

GM Bob :

The line may be long enough to drop the tank a little. The last one I had I had to replace the fuel feed line

Customer:

Thats not good thats about 100 bucks a line correct

GM Bob :

Yes or more

Customer:

great.

GM Bob :

But if it don't look good it may not reseal and you will have to drop the tank

Customer:

what wont reseal

GM Bob :

the fuel line it may leak gas

Customer:

thats not good let me go and try the wd 40 and air and see what happens.

GM Bob :

ok

Customer:

wd 40 and air didnt work so I guess I will have to replace the lines as well. Is it just best to cut the poly lines around the connections in the front.

GM Bob :

I would just cut the plastic line 2-3 inches from the connector. You will need some thing to grab when you try taking it apart.

Customer:

ok thank you for your help.

GM Bob :

Thank you for letting me help. Sorry that you will have to replace the line

Customer:

its ok I guess in the long run its better to be safe than sorry

GM Bob :

Don't want to drop the tank again for a leak

GM Bob :

Please don't forget to rate me

Customer:

no not after i have already spent 5 hours trying to get it out already. Thanks again.

GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 30 plus years. experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 11 months ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.