Eddie
Eddie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 20 years professional experience in advanced engine controls and transmission rebuilding.

Chevrolet Silverado 1500: Have a question regarding a 99 Chevy

Have a question regarding a 99 Chevy Silverado 1500. 4.3 liter V6, 5-speed NV3500 transmission.

Clutch pedal is hard to push
Truck shifts a little hard
Clutch heats up easily, makes noise and smells burnt if I l have to let it out slow (backing up a hill, pulling a small boat up launching ramp) All towing is within capacity.
Intermittently it takes two pumps of clutch pedal to get transmission safety switch to disengage.
Intermittently, brake pedal is hard when first starting the truck after it has been sitting overnight.

I have owned this truck since 2002. I drove it 150,000 miles before transmission went out. Transmission, clutch set replaced, flywheel re-surfaced 30,000 miles ago. Hard clutch pedal symptom and safety switch symptom present before and after new transmission. Clutch noise, heat and smell problems after transmission repair only. Hard brake pedal symptom started within the last month. Current mileage 180,000.

Thanks.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eddie replied 9 months ago.

Eddie :

Hello, and thanks for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do all I can to help. Since the clutch is hydraulic on your model Silverado, I feel that the problem is in the pressure plate itself. When a pressure plate fails, it will result in a hard to press clutch pedal, and in turn will not release properly, causing the clutch to slip and give you that "hot brake" smell that you get due to the clutch slipping. I realize it's only been 30,000 miles since the clutch set was replaced, but in my opinion, You will need a new clutch/pressure plate/ and release bearing in order to correct this concern.

Eddie :

If you had mechanical linkage or a clutch cable, I would say the problem could be in the linkage or frayed cable, but it being hydraulic, and you having a clutch master cylinder, The only thing it can really be causing that hard clutch pedal, is the pressure plate itself.

Eddie :

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Customer:

Is the pressure plate something that should have been replaced when the new transmission and clutch were installed?

Eddie :

Yes, It is recommend that when replacing the clutch, to replace the pressure plate as well. I like to replace the clutch disc, pressure plate, and release bearing all together, as all 3 of those components do wear together as an assembly.

Customer:

Thanks. That's helpful. The transmission work is under warranty. Trying to determine if this is the kind of thing that should be covered. I have been having trouble with the clutch burning since I got the truck back. Mechanic told me it would take a while to wear in, but the problem hasn't gone away. Pedal keeps getting harder to push. Do you think I have a good argument for warranty coverage?

Eddie :

Depending on how long they warrantied the work for, yes, I feel you do have a good argument for warranty work. If the clutch pedal is hard to push, then I feel your technician will agree that the pressure plate needs replacing. Depending on what brand he replaced it with the first time, and whether or not it was new, or remanufactured, the quality of the replacement parts is what I would question. Usually even a remanufactured pressure plate will have a lifetime warranty. However, his labor to replace that component, that may or may not be covered depending on the warranty contract.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks. Any other questions you think are important to ask the transmission shop?

Eddie :

I would tell them to be sure and replace the release bearing as well while they are there, because on your model, you have to remove the transmission to replace it, and it's a good idea to go ahead and replace it since your in there and it wears with the pressure plate.

Customer:

What about the slave cylinder?

Eddie :

I would definitely check it, if the release bearing slides on the collar well, it may not need replacing, But, If it looked like it was binding any, I would not hesitate to replace it.

Eddie :

It's standard procedure to take a good look at that anyway, if they didn't replace it at 30,000 miles when they did the initial work, then yes, I would replace it.

Customer:

Ok, last question. Looking at my invoice, it says "clutch set replaced." What parts of the clutch does a "clutch set" include?

Eddie :

Usually a clutch set includes, the clutch disc, the pressure plate, and the release bearing.

Eddie :

but not necessarily the slave cylinder. unless the release bearing and slave cylinder are made together in one component as some models are .

Customer:

Ok. sounds like this should be mostly covered. Thanks for your help!

Eddie :

Absolutely, thank you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer:

Will do.

Eddie, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: I have 20 years professional experience in advanced engine controls and transmission rebuilding.