Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Chevrolet Malibu Classic: I need to change my serpentine belt

I need to change my serpentine belt on a 2004 Chevy Malibu classic 2.2 liter engine. I have the belt, just no diagram to see how to take it off or put it back on.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Sorry for the delay in getting to your question. My apologies.

Replacing the Serpentine Belt isn't that bad of a job at all. To make this go a little smoother, there is a special tool that can be used: Tensioner Tool. You can usually rent this tool from any local big chain parts store.

Insert the tool or equivalent into the "squared hole" (see image below) on the tensioner. Rotate the tensioner in a counter-clockwise direction to relieve tension on the belt. Once the belt is removed/installed, SLOWLY release the tensioner. Do not allow the tensioner to "snap" back into place or damage to the tensioner can occur.
graphic

Please remember the website WILL NOT automatically compensate me with a part of your deposit or from your subscription WITHOUT YOUR RATING! Please use the Rating System and *Rate My Service* if the information/advice I supplied has helped you. If you have any more questions, use the "Reply" tab – I'm always happy to answer follow-up questions! Follow-ups are always FREE! Even after you rate! Thank-you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do I need to jack the car up or remove anything to get to the belt?

For the best access, you should remove the passenger's side front tire and the wheel well liner. This gives maximum clearance and view. The finder lines is held in by a few fasteners around it's perimeter (locations marked with red circles in image below):
graphic