goodwrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ase Master Certified, GM Master Certified Tech. Awarded GM Top performer, Hybrid certified

Chevrolet Malibu: my cars rear turn signals and brake light

my cars rear turn signals and brake light does not work. The red daytime running tail lights still work though. Is it more likely a fuse or could it still be the bulb?
Hello and welcome, there is one fuse, it is in the underhood fuse block, it is a red 10 amp fuse marked stop lp fuse number 47, let me know if this fuse is ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, i will check

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

fuse looks good and switched it with another new 10a fuse. also, dash panel turn indicator flashes faster than normal when turned on.

ok, how about the third upper brake light? does it work ok?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the upper brake light works

ok, the body control module is what works the brake lights and the turn lights. there are a couple of things that can cause this problem. it is possible both bulbs are burnt out, or there is a problem with the bcm or a bad connection at bcm. suggest checking both rear bulbs. if the bulbs are good let me know and we go another direction
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it looks like both sets of filaments in both bulbs are whole. is there another way to check without replacing the bulbs? Where is the bcm located?

the body control module is located under the center console towards front. you can gain access from the passenger side. with the key off unplug the 3 connectors and plug them back in. recheck lights. unfortually if there is a problem with the bcm, replacements require special equipment to program and set up. here is a picture of the bcm. just a note, there are several fuses in the bcm. make sure none of them are blown. the bcm uses these fuses for different functions that are not marked very well