Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

chevy suburban: I have 1996 chevy suburban w.a 5.7 vortex engine

I have 1996 chevy suburban w.a 5.7 vortex engine , on my way home from work on highway as i decelerated from 70mph to about 50 the car began to run rough and almost stalled .driving through town i had no power at lower rpm and had to keep rpm high to even drive it .when inspecting exhaust at idle tons of exhaust when i step on gas very little exhaust and it gets xtra hot what do you guys think ? Spark plug or clogged cat
does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?
tell me all you can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Check engine light stayed on and wont go off i dont know how to get computer codes sorry

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Check engine light stays on don't know fault codes
to get the codes,,you will need an obd2 scanner..if you dont have a scanner,,auto zone and most parts stores will scan it and give you the codes for free..i would think you will get a 300 miss-fire code and perhaps a 171 lean code...
without the codes,,my thoughts are ,you need to check the fuel pressure,,it sounds as if you fuel pump is weak and may need replaced..these must have no less than 60psi fuelpressure at all is common for the fuelmpump to get weak on these vortec engines

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where is fuel pump on those engines ?
it is in the fuel tank,,the tank will need to be removed to replace it,,,do check the pressure first and scan it before replacing,,just to make sure