Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS: Hi Dave - Reading the conversation

Hi Dave - Reading the conversation you had from 3 yrs ago, and I'm having the same issue..."I have a 2002 Chevrolet Suburban. My dash lights and the radio light goes out when I turn the lights on. My odometer and shift indicator stay lit. All of my other lights work." Did this ever get solved? I don't have the test light needed to check the wires, and have not tried to change the headlight switch. Thought maybe there was a quick answer for this issue by now.
Thanks ~ Jeff in Orlando
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

Start by checking fuses. Main ones to check first are the TBC fuse and the ILLUM fuse. Let me know what you find there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dave - Both fuses look good.

With engine off -

Headlight switch turned ON, no warning bell, headlights work, Dome lights on with door open, dome lights go off when dome light override button pushed in.

With engine on\running -

Headlight switch turned OFF, Radio is lit, gear selector\odometer is lit, headlights work, dome lights on\off with dimmer switch, override works.

With engine on\running -

Headlight switch turned ON, odometer dims, radio light goes OFF(not just dims), dimmer turns domes on & off. When headlight switch is turned OFF, radio lights up again, and odometer gets normal brightness.

That's all I've done so far.

With the fuses good, the problem is likely a bad dash dimmer switch (part of the headlight switch). Replacing this should fix your problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI Dave - Changed the headlight switch and tested just now - all is well. Dash & radio lights working as they should be.

Thanks for your help!