Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

Chevrolet Corvette c5: I have a1997 corvette with dual zone

Customer Question

I have a1997 corvette with dual zone ac , the problem I have is at an idle it blows cold air, when the is moving the air is a lot less colder. Thanks Tom
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you.
Have pressures been checked? AC pressures? has anything been done and tried?
Can you tell if maybe? when you are accelerating the airflow begins to blow out the defroster?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not done any work on the car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not blow out the defroster on acceleration
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Bear with me. I will send thoughts on this
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Ok, the way the system works, you have 2 electric motors that control the temps on each side and several vacuum controlled actuators that control where the air blows
generally IF a vaccum problem? the air changes to defrost when driving then back to vent/floor at idle
It is by defualt that it blows out defrost if vauum problem

the odds of have 2 failed blend door actuators, not likely and.. they will not change when driveing vs at idle
While driving, more air blows through the condensor and thus cooling is normally better than at idle when the fan has to do all the work

I rule out vacuum problem as it is not going to defrost. I rule out blend door actuators as you do not have symptoms for them failing

What i do lean to? a littl low on Freon (R 134) as at idle the AC compressor does not have to work hard at all. get moving? higher engine RPM's? the compressor spins faster and.. if a liitle low on 134? your cooling will drop off till back at idle and engine running slower
hard to explain

I would begin with a AC pressure check OR adding a Lb or little less of R134 to the system with a self install kit from local parts store

I do not have guage readings of pressure to work with so.. I can only send suggests and likely problem and expalining why I feel this is the problem

Not likely to be electrical nor vacuum problem as mentioned
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I finally got around to looking at my ac problem, what I found was a more problems. The battery was dead,I charged it started it and the ac was not working at all also I found out why the battery was dead. The blower motor turns off briefly when you turn the ignition off and then comes back on with the ignition still off ? Tom
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Do you still need help with this?I was away last night
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
did i ask at any point if you have the manual climate controls or the full auotmatic controls? I need to know which if possible. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Auto duel zone
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
I do not like to put % on may things as other possibles exist however,. 98% of thime when this happens? it is the blower control module. That module can affect AC as well
It is located along side of the blower motor under right side dash

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I installed the controller and that solved the fan problem , but the system now blows cold air on the passenger side and warm air on the drivers side
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
Great, well sort of I guess, I though controller would do it. Now,, do you have the dual zone climate controls? I am not looking at the full post.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.
sorry for the delay, What mode are you in when blowing cold on passenger and warm driver? AC or heat?
I will be online later today but in meantime, on left side of the HVAc case, to the right of drivers foot is the drivers side actuator, It is mounted to the side of the HVAC case, I suspect it has failed IF? you are in AC when warm on drivers side

#1 shown

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here