Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

Chevrolet Tahoe LT: I have a 2002 chevy Tahoe lt and the transfer

Customer Question

I have a 2002 chevy Tahoe lt and the transfer case has been leaking at the front sill. I was told to keep oil in it and I did. I went on vacation for a week and it sat in may driveway for a week, not being ran and now when you put it in gear it acts like it stays in neutral. I was wondering if I can fill case up and it will shift into gear?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this problem
with the case in 2WD the truck will not move ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

It was originally a 4x4 but someone pulled the shaft out. the guy at the quick lube said I needed to get a new front sill, but to keep oil in the case till I did. I did keep oil in it. but it hasn't been driven for a week and now when you put it in gear it rolls like its in neutral

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
ok and in park it will still roll ?
it will not lock on the parking lock ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no it stays in park

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
ok can you check and make sure the transmission fluid if full checking it with the engine hot and at idle ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes, but im at work now. I can around 4:00 central time. will that be ok?

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
yes that is fine
if this truck will not move forwards or backwards either the transfer case has failed or there is something wrong inside the transmission
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I will get back to you around 4:00 cst

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, checked trans fluid, it was a little low but not much. Will it do that if the transfer case is low? And if so is there an easy way to add fluid? I'm sorta a big guy.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

the problem we have is the rear driveshaft connects to a shaft in the transfer case that connects right to the back of the transmission and if the truck will lock on the parking lock and NOT roll it shows the transfer case is still physically connecting the rear drive shaft to the rear of the transmission so to say

so it will NOT roll and lock on the parking lock ?

when shifted into 4HI or 4LOW it will not move at all ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If its in park it stays put. It's parked in my carport on a slight slope down. I do not know if it will go in drive. The front drive shaft was gone when I bought it. But I have pushed the buttons and no difference.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

can you see if it will do anything in drive ?

we are down to a transfer case failure or a transmission failure

adding fluid to the transfer case will not fix the transfer case if the case has failed it will need to be rebuilt or replaced

but see if it moves in park

I know I keep asking but it makes a big difference if it will lock and not roll in park on the parking lock as that will tell us if its the transmission or the transfer case

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesn't roll when it parked.
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

ok that is showing the transfer case IS physically connected and the problem is the transmission has internally failed or an internal problem

the truck locks in park in the rear of the transmission NOT the transfer case

if it rolled in park then that would show there was a transfer case issue where the rear drive shaft was disconnected in the transfer case so to say

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I still need to get it on flat ground and see if it will go in drive or check fluid on a level surface?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
yes get it on flat ground and check the fluid level in the transmission with the dipstick with the engine running and the engine hot
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got it on flat ground and fluid was very low. So I added a quart and it would go into drive. But still no reverse. Is it ok to drive even though it won't go into reverse? And what can I do to fix reverse? Or do I just need to take it to a shop?
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
Scott with no reverse it was run on low fluid there is internal damage and will need to be removed and rebuilt or replaced im sorry to say its got to get to a shop
yes you can drive it in forward gears as long as its not slipping but its a matter of time before it starts slipping and you will loose forward gears