Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

Chevrolet K1500 4x4: I have a code of p0302 cylinder 2 misfire.

I have a code of p0302 cylinder 2 misfire. I have replaced the plug and wire cleaned cap and rotor I also removed valve cover to check valve found nothing out of the ordinary there. however I still have a misfire or dead cylinder it has spark and I couldnt find any vacumn leak. what do you think the next step is
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you.
You put in 302 engine,. This is incorrect. Can you please send the correct engine size? many thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

5.0M is the engine size

Thanks./ Checking some things, Back shortly
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you!

Ok, you did not mention a compressioin test but did check valves/rockers persay. I would consider a compression test to rule out internal/mechanical but really,, I am not leaning that direction
Knowing all you did, tried and tested leads away from simple, obvious items.
Now,, the most common problem with theis engien design is the fule meter body or the "spider injection" as we call it
They are NOT fule injectors but "poppets"
They were notorious for problems
Sure, we try to clean first but that only works say 50% of the time
When everything has been ruled out and leads to fule delivery on a cylinder? 99.8% of the time, you have a bad poppet
You would then purchase a new fuel meter assembly as shown below, remove only the upper intake, change it out
They have been redesigned and improved for all the past problems they had. You can buy at most any local parts store
Now, up till 2003 GM had a recall on the fule meter assembly./ It was for 10 years. 200,000 miles, whichever came first. You are out of that recall so the repair is on you at this point
This is so common. We have changed many of them in the shop
Im am near certain you have a bad poppet
You have ruled out everything except compression test

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know it runs really rough but is there harm to engine if driven as I work 25 miles away and would like to get it fixed near where I work

no, no problem there. Worst case would be a 02 sensor code being set and maybe? a fouled plug at some point.
You do not want to put off real long, a miss can affect the cat converter over time but you are a good ways off from that. You are ok to drive till fixed
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it ended up that the cylinder #2 had 0 compression and cylinder 5 had 60% so it needed an engine. As a result we traded the vehicle in thanks fir what you did for me