Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show
10772012

Chevrolet Cavalier: hello Ivan, I have a 2000 cavalier that

hello Ivan, I have a 2000 cavalier that has the theft system light on steady does not flash. car cranks but will not start no fuel is being delivered i do not hear the fuel pump coming on. im sure that the theft system had disabled the injectors and pump. i have try the turn key on and wait 10 min. X3 to relearn. still same problem. the theft light never goes out or flashes. even after key on for 10min. point me in a direction please!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and good afternoon. Those theft systems have been incredibly problematic. You have done the 10 minute relearn, I am going to provide you with the 30 minute relearn. Many times this is the path that needs to be taken. Try this and let me know if it worked. Follow it exactly.

Your JA Expert,
Ivan

1. Turn ignition on.
2. Attempt to start the engine, and then release the key to the “ON” position.
3. Observe the “SECURITY” indicator light. After 10 minutes the “SECURITY” indicator light
will turn off.
4. Turn ignition to the “OFF” position, and wait 10 seconds.
5. Attempt to start the engine, and then release the key to the “ON” position.
6. Observe the “SECURITY” indicator light. After 10 minutes the “SECURITY” indicator light
will turn off.
7. Turn ignition to the “OFF” position, and wait 10 seconds.
8. Attempt to start the engine, and then release the key to the “ON” position.
9. Observe the “SECURITY” indicator light. After 10 minutes the “SECURITY” indicator light
will turn off.
10. Turn ignition to the “OFF” position, and wait 10 seconds.
11. Vehicle has now learned the new password. Start the engine.
12. With a scan tool, clear any trouble codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi Ivan, i have tried the 30 min relearn. sorry i wasn't clear about that. i have also disconnected the battery for over 30 mins. i have spark no fuel. and theft light remains on does not flash or go off after 10 mins or 30mins. (3x ten min with key on) i have tired to leave key on for full 30 mins as well to see if theft light would go off. it still remains on.?

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have more than one key for the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes. i have tried both keys. i work part time for a security company this is one of there patrol cars. i have had problems before with the pass lock systems on some of them before, but the theft light would be blinking and the 10-30min reset would work. but this one has me scratching me head..

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a scan tool that allowed you to obtain the code that is being set by the theft module?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have an actron cp9580 after scaning it shows no codes stored.

the only thing i can find in Alldata is this, about a steady theft light but dont give any procedure

When the PCM receives the correct password, the PCM enables the fuel injection system, allowing the vehicle to operate correctly. The PCM may allow the car to start and quickly stall during a failed theft condition.

If the BCM does not receive a Passlock(TM) data value, the BCM will enter a short tamper mode. During this mode, the VTD system will not allow the car to operate for 4 seconds.

If the Passlock(TM) data value is incorrect, the VTD system will enter the long tamper mode. In the long tamper mode, the following actions will occur:

• The THEFT SYSTEM indicators will flash.

• The fuel injectors will be shut off for approximately 10 minutes.

Although the vehicle may start, the engine will quickly stall due to a fuel cut-off.

In the event of an open in the serial data communication between the BCM and the PCM or a failure in the Passlock(TM) lock cylinder, the following actions occur:

• The VTD system will become fail-enabled if the car has already passed theft for that ignition cycle (i.e. the engine is running).

• The PCM or the BCM may set Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC s).

• The THEFT SYSTEM indicators will light continuously.

• The PCM will become fail-enabled for future ignition cycles.

If a failure occurs when the ignition is off, while the VTD system is not fail-enabled, the PCM will never receive a valid password, and will not allow vehicle operation by disabling the fuel injectors.

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
I saw those areas too. Have you replaced anything yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no. even auto zone wants almost 200 for lock cylinder. all there cars are 250k+miles and there running on dimes. hate to just start shotguning it..

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
I know what you mean. To make this a more accurate diagnosis, we need a scan tool that will allow you to see what the theft control or BCM is seeing. Where you can see whether the key is being recognized and satisfying the protocol. Can you possibly track down someone with an updated Snap on Modis or Verus? That would allow us to have more data to support replacing the lock cylinder. I feel that is most likely what we are dealing with but I would truly like to see what the module is seeing. I do have a procedure to bypass the system, but it is always better to fix, than to bypass. I really want to decide whether our problem is with the Passlock components or BCM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i don't.., not without taking it to the dealer. and any talk of that would probably get me fired just for the suggestion! LOL!!

can you give me the bypass procedure? I really need to know how they have 23 GM models for patrol cars and i am sure i'm going to run into this again

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
We don't want to get you in any trouble, a hero yes, trouble no.

Try this procedure and let me know what this yields or if you need any support along with this. Go to this site and read through the material. It should work. Let me know what you think.

http://www.kingbain.com/how-to-permanently-disable-gm-passlock-system/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ugg. that kinda sounds like a pain in the *** I did do something similar on one of there Malibu but you cut that yellow with car running. but sense i cant start the car that wont work.. i don't want to get anyone in trouble here.. but with these being fleet vehicles for Colorado Security Professionals LLC. i think it make sense for them to have a bypass procedure if there is one?

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
I understand completely. I would recommend trying to do this without permanently cutting things. Try to create points that you can use a jumper, or put a factory style connector inline so you can reverse things if need be. I agree, for a patrol car to not start because of such a circumstance is a bad thing to occur. I think they would be happy to have that problem off the table.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so am i understanding you correctly? that there is a bypass procedure that can be done without trying to match the resistors on the passlock wires. that can be obtained? thru dealer or? I mean, if there is we need to get it.. they patrol 24-7 and as there cars are getting up there in yrs and miles amd im seeing this problem more and more. this one left a patrol stranded for over 4 hrs two nights ago. and we had to have it towed into are shop as well. this is really becoming an issue

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
No, this procedure is outside of GM's approval. I am not aware of an inhouse bypass. I would recommend trying this bypass and doing it in such a way that it becomes your own inhouse kit, then you can pre-prepare the fix, and convert it on the fly as needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

O i see.. thought you were saying there was a way to bypass it.. i was getting pissed. LOL! i talked to GM today and i was gona head down there with a word or two tomarrow.!

Well thanks for the try.. guess ill have to give that a try. cant spend 200 everytime one of these acts up..

no other suggestion that i try or check?

Thanks again.

Expert:  Ivan replied 1 year ago.
Without seeing what the computers are seeing it makes it hard to point you in an efficient direction.
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show