Neal
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.

Chevrolet traverse: my 2011 traverse has been making a rattling

my 2011 traverse has been making a rattling sound on start. but it goes away in 30 sec. I thought it was a bad belt or something. checked oil and it did not Tennessee on dip stick. there was never a low oil level light or any other warning. How in the world does a rather new vehicle run out of oil and why would some sort of light not come on? also can I drive my vehicle to get the oil changed and checked. I have added 3 quarts and the sound is a lot quieter. I'm really sick of this vehicle not working correctly.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 11 months ago.

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

How many miles on it since the oil had last been changed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I'm going to go with maybe 5000. the change oil message came on about 2 weeks ago.

Expert:  Neal replied 11 months ago.
Up to about 1 quart per thousand miles is considered the upper limit of normal though it is unusual for one to use that much oil. You should change the oil and track how much it is using. If it is excessive then the dealer should do a consumption test. It is always possible it was not filled properly when the oil was changed last time and that is why it got so low. Let me know what you find and I will continue to assist as needed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

can I drive it since it was out of oil?

Expert:  Neal replied 11 months ago.
As long as you have added oil it will be fine and you will not hurt it. Based on what you have told me it is highly unlikely that anything was damaged.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

okay, thanks. So why did the car never tell me the oil level was low? The dealership rewired something about 5 months ago because the stabilatrak light keep going off. It was the main computer system that they worked. do you think that system might of causedthe light not to come on?

Expert:  Neal replied 11 months ago.
Either it did not get low enough or the sensor is not working. I would have the dealer check it out since it seems it should have been low enough. The repair they made should not have affected it at all.
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience: Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.