ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic

Chevrolet Cavalier LS: 1999 Chevy cavalier, 2.2L Issue

1999 Chevy cavalier, 2.2L

Issue #1 - engine misses but does not stall. Replaced injectors, ignition module, and fuel filter. Never helped.

Issue #2 - engine overheats. Replaced rad, water pump, thermostat, electric fan, and the fan thermo switch. Still occurs.

Engine missing started 5000km after the vehicle started overheated.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your problem. Can you give me some details on when it overheats? Like going slow or faster?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Overheats very quickly once car is started.

Overheats at all times unless going highway speeds which will keep it from overheating but it still runs warm. Well above normal.

Does the cooling fan come on at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the fan does come on. Installed a manual override switch so that fan can run continuously. The car still overheats.

Verified temp gauge was accurate with a heat gun.
Ok what I believe is happening is that you have a bad head gasket, it explains the over heating and the misfire, I know you are probably going to say that there is no coolant in the oil but in most cases you do not get coolant in the oil on many engines. There is a simple test for a head gasket so I would get that done or buy a kit and do it your self, this kit can be purchased at most auto parts stores, they may need to order it but I am sure they can get it. Let me know if you have more questions on this I am always willing to help, Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What test would you have done to check the head gasket?
It a chemical test that checks for exhaust gases in the coolant, if they are present there is a bad head gasket. Here is a link to this tester on ebay,