ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

my ignition cylinder would not turn. I bought a new cylinder

my ignition cylinder would not turn. I bought a new cylinder pass sensor . to replace it I manage to get the key to turn one more time to remove cylinder. I had a hard time getting the new one in but finally got it too go. reassembled and now key still will not turn so i can not do the relearn procedure. 1999 chevy malibu V6

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Just so im understanding correctly, You got the lock cylinder out of the old ignition switch, and you reused that same lock cylinder in the new ignition switch? Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Replaced this assembly and the key will not turn. Same problem I had with the old cylinder

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no indication ignition cylinder was going bad. when attempting to start yesterday key would not turn

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no I replaced the lock cylinder and reused the ignition switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you think it is a bad ignition switch?

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
Does the cylinder turn in your hand before you put it in the ignition switch? You should be able to turn it. There may be a tab to push down so it will turn. If it turns without being installed in the ignition switch, but wont turn when it is installed then it sounds like the ignition switch is the problem. If it doesn't turn outside of the ignition switch then there is something wrong with the new lock cylinder. Did it come already coded with a key then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it turned before I installed it. came with its own key. does that mean it was coded

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it turned before I installed it. came with its own key. does that mean it was coded. I really need to know if replacing the ignition cylinder requires some procedure to get it to turn or I need to keep troubleshooting and what do you suggest. I need a answer now or let a new expert diagnose the question.

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Hi new expert here sorry it appears the other expert left. If the new lock cylinder did turn with it in your hand it should turn when installed, if it does not then there is a problem within the ignition switch or lock cylinder housing. The lock cylinder does not require any kind of procedure for it to turn. It may require a procedure for the engine to start but I would concentrate on getting the turning issue resolved first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any suggestions on how to get the ignition cylinder to turn so i can get the cable to release on the back of the ignition switch. Hope i don't have to drill the new cylinder.

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
That is going to be a tough one, I am wondering how you got the new lock cylinder in if the ignition switch would not turn? I understand that you probably drilled out the old cylinder but typically the switch has to be in the run or start position for the lock cylinder to go in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got lucky by rapping on it and got it to turn to remove it.installing it was diffucult but it finally went in. I am leaving work to go try and remove the ignition switch. hope i can get the key to turn one more time.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Ok good luck, let me know if I can help further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Replaced ignition switch. Ops check good. If you hit the ignition cylinder hard enough it will turn. Used the old ignition cylinder to avoid the relearn procedure to get the car home. Hope I can return the new ignition cylinder 150.00Frown. Thanks for your quick responses. The last tech took hours to respond

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
No problem I try to be as quick as possible, good luck
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience: 28 year experience, Master Mechanic