Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.

Chevrolet Impala: Do bad back brakes cause a shudder problem

Do bad back brakes cause a shudder problem at 50+ miles? I have just had the front brakes replaced.
Hello and thank you for your question today!
Does this happen when braking at 50+ mph?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, at 50, 60, 70, but not at 40 or lower.

Yes, the rear brakes if the rotors are warped will cause this type of problem. You will not typically feel it in the steering wheel unless it is severe. Normally if you feel it in the floor or the seat of your pants then it is a rear brake issue.
Also, you may see the passenger seat bouncing a bit.
Hope this helps!
Please be sure to let me know if you need further assistance, if not, please be sure to rate my answer. If you are on the free trial, a rating is still required. Your card will not be charged.
Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well there is a definite shudder in the steering wheel.

If it's in the steering wheel then you still have something happening up there.

Have them check the control arm bushings,it is also possible that one of the new rotors is warped. Also, I realize the calipers are new, but the sliders should be checked to be sure they aren't sticking.Rear brakes won't cause a shimmy or vibration in the steering wheel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, here's one other thing. When I go around a sharp corner and the brakes are on there is a snapping sound.

This sounds like something is out of round. If the snapping is sort of like click,click,click that could be a warped rotor and the brake pad moving in the caliper. Hard to tell from here of course.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX with the garage I go to and have them check the sliders, rotors and control arm bushings.

Sometimes the bushings on these can cause some issues.
If you haven't already, please be sure to rate my answer.
Thanks so much!