ClayA
ClayA, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ten years experience, ASE Master and Advanced Level Specialist certifications. 2006 Winner National Ford/AAA Student Auto Skills
74704726

Chevrolet z71 pick up: I just swapped a r700 someone gave me

I just swapped a r700 someone gave me for my 89 4x4 1/2 ton now it shifts on its own between od and 3rd also between 1st and 2nd. It does go away when under more throttle. Whats wrong? Thank you.
I am guessing you are talking about a 700R4 transmission.

Lets start with a couple of questions to let me better help you with your problem.

Was this transmission a known good one or one out of another vehicle?

Was the throttle valve cable from the transmission adjusted properly?

This can sometimes be caused by an improperly adjusted throttle valve cable.

Note: Cable is also called a kick down cable by some people. However, on the 700r4 it is not just a kick down cable but affects line pressure and shifts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't k ow anything about the 700r4 I installed except I has a tag that reads factory recon. I did not notice any adjustments at throttle body or anywhere else.

I suggest adjusting the TV cable properly first. It is just easier to make sure that it is not the cause of your problem before replacing parts.

1. Stop the engine.
  2. Depress and hold down the metal re-adjust tab (#250) at the engine end of the TV cable (#142).
  3. Move the slider (#251) until it stops against the fitting.
  4. Release the readjustment tab (#250).
  5. Rotate the throttle lever (#140) to its wide open throttle "full travel position".
  6. The slider (#251) must move (ratchet) toward the lever when the lever is rotated to its full travel position.
  7. Road test the vehicle.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1st And 2nd are working proper but 3rd and overdrive still slip back and forth

Okay, then I don't think you have any broken or bad parts inside the transmission.

Do you still have your old 700R4 transmission?

If so I would recommend you swapping the governor from it to the new one. It is very possible that your new transmission is set up for a different rear gear ratio allowing your current cruise speed to be near the shift point.

The governor is behind the round cover on the drivers rear of the transmission it is very easy to change out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks Clay appreciate it.