Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD LS: I have a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado

I have a 2001 Chevrolet Silverado LS 2500HD V8, 6.0 gas. It won't cold start until about the third try. After that it starts immediately. But if I drive, stop and let it sit for 30 minutes or more, I have the same problem.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Try this for me tomorrow morning. Rather than trying to crank it right away. Cycle the key to the On position, then Off, then back On three times. Then try and crank it and tell me if it starts right away. If it does you are dropping fuel pressure in the rail, and we will have to determine where.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had not started it as of yet today so I tried what you suggested and yep, it started.

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Do you do your own work or do you have a mechanic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my own work if I can otherwise it goes to a mechanic.

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

graphic

Under the plastic engine cover on the fuel injector rail is the fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum hose off it and see if there is any fuel coming out or in the hose, you can even go key on to check it. If it is not leaking fuel I suspect the check ball in the fuel pump has failed and will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The regulator is not leaking. Any test I can perform to see if it is indeed the fuel pump?

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.
Not really. What you would normally do is look for black smoke on start up, which could indicate an injector leaking down, but yours seems to leak down pretty quick so that would almost have to be a fuel pump. If it was slower, like overnight I would say pull the injector rail and watch for drips, but if it leaks down in 30 minutes the injectors would be dumping and you'd have other symptoms.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness