ClayA
ClayA, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ten years experience, ASE Master and Advanced Level Specialist certifications. 2006 Winner National Ford/AAA Student Auto Skills

Chevrolet C2500 4x2: I have 95 chevy 2500 automatic went to

I have 95 chevy 2500 automatic went to start it and it click and nothing so got an now starter put it in the same thing happened checked all fuses check wires for brakes or chafing had happened seem to my when mess with the fuses the gages start to work the flasher work but when i turn ingniton on the same thing happens
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ClayA replied 11 months ago.
Start with some basic questions for me to get a better understanding of the problem.
  • So are you losing power to the gauges also when this happens?
  • If so on the first question what all is without power?
  • Is this truck a standard or automatic transmission?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

YES .TRUCK WILL NOT START THERE IS NO CONNECTION, LIKE BATTERY DEAD. CHECK BATTERY BATTERY IS GOOD .POWER IS WEEK AND THE THE HAZARD LIGHTS ARE DEAD NOT BLINKING BUT CLICKING .WHEN I MESS AROUND WITH IT I GET THE POWER BACK THE GAGES START WORKING THE HAZARD LIGHTS START WORKING AND THEN WHEN I HIT IGNITION IT CLICKS AND GOES DEAD AGAIN.

Expert:  ClayA replied 11 months ago.
Do you have a voltage meter to perform some test with?

If so what it your battery voltage with the key on?
Is the voltage at the fuse #6 40A under the hood the same as the battery with the key on?

If both of these are good then I will next need you to check the voltages at the ignition switch.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have 12 volts at battery with key off key on 8 volts at the ignition 2..3 volts

Expert:  ClayA replied 11 months ago.
Have you had your battery checked?
The voltage of 8 with key on worries me. That the battery may be bad.
Which color wire on the ignition had 2..3Volts? Should be the red wire.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes it was red wire the battery is new had 12 volts at the battery with key on gave you bad information 12 at the fuse. 12 volts coming in the ignition and the red wire coming out had 12 volts also but when i turn the key to start it is only getting 2.3 volts to the out red wire

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi claya i am needing a answer

Expert:  ClayA replied 11 months ago.
The yellow wire is the one out to the starter. If it only has 2.3 V then your ignition switch is bad.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

just put a new starter switch in it 20 min a go still is doing thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it acts like short had battery checked out this morning it is good could it be a relay

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

the yellow wire is not getting no volts out when turn key to the start position

Expert:  ClayA replied 11 months ago.
I am going to post a couple of wiring diagrams. Then post the test I need you to perform.

Starting Circuit
Starting

Ignition Switch

graphic
ClayA, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Ten years experience, ASE Master and Advanced Level Specialist certifications. 2006 Winner National Ford/AAA Student Auto Skills
Expert:  ClayA replied 11 months ago.
Okay, I apologize that the ignition switch did not fix the vehicle. I need you to do some more test. I have posted the wiring diagrams above for your vehicle. I will list the test based on which diagram the wires being tested on in. You may know the answer to some of the questions due to your previous testing. Please be patient with me and lets try to get this fixed.

Please answer the questions individually by test number.

Ignition Connector Pinout

graphic

Starting Diagram Test
  • 1. What is the voltage of the red wire at pin D5 on the ignition switch with the switch off.? Note: There is a red wire at pin D5 and pin D2. We are dealing with the one at pin D5.
  • 2. What is the voltage on the red wire D5 when you turn the key to start?

Ignition Switch Diagram Test

• 3. What is the voltage of the red wire at pin D2 with the key off?
  • 4. What is the voltage of the red wire at pin D2 with the key on?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

accept thank you

Expert:  ClayA replied 11 months ago.
Were you able to get the truck fixed?