Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.

I am loosing water (antifreeze) sometimes from the overflow

I am loosing water (antifreeze) sometimes from the overflow pipe located in front of the right front tire. It will do this even if its not at operating temp. I have checked to make sure there is no water in the crankcase. Thinking a head gasket could have blown. It is a 2004 LLY motor with 120,000 miles. could this be a thermostat problem?

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

Especially with it doing it cold, it pretty much has to be the head gasket. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is what it is going to do in almost all cases like that. I have even seen them with both head gaskets blown.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It doesn't do it everytime.. if a headgasket was blown wouldn't do it everytime the engine was running?

Not necessarily. It can be caused by such a small leak that it can come and go. Even more so if there any kind of sealant in the cooling system. I would start by having the cooling system tested for exhaust gasses.