Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Chevrolet Camaro: I need to know how to replace my 2000 5.7L

I need to know how to replace my 2000 5.7L Chevy Camaro radiator.

Ok, you list your vehicle both as a 2000 and a 2010 Camaro with 5.7 engine. I went with the 2000 as the 2010 doesnt come with a 5.7L.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. It's a 2000. Sorry for any listing both models. I don't understand this part of the steps:

Recover air conditioning system. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging in Heating and Air Conditioning.

the radiator cannot be separated from the AC condensor while it is still in the vehicle, so in order to remove the radiator and condensor as a unit, you have to disconnect the ac lines to the condensor. This means that you have to evacuate the ac system.

The directions are from the shop manual, so they assume those using them have access to a refrigerent recovery machine(about $3000).

doing it at home means that you just vent the refrigerent into the atmosphere. This also means that the ac will require recharging when done. While you can get at home kits for this, you are not able to vacuum down the system before recharging,which is necessary to get all the air out of the system so that you can put a full charge into the ac.

You will want a shop to do this, which will run about $60 to put the system under a vacuum for about 30 minutes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How do I vent the refrigerent into the atmosphere?

you can either use a screwdriver to depress the high or low pressure service port's shrader valve to vent it, or just slowly loosen one of the lines at the condensor and let it vent from there. Once it is done, then finish removing the lines.

R134A does not pose any envirnomental risk which is why they switched to it in the mid 90s, so it doesnt hurt anything to do this
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Which bolt is the evaporator tube bolt?

It is the one pictured in the first diagram.

It is on the passenger side towards the top of the condensor. follow the line going to the condensor in front of the radiator and you will see where it connects to the condensor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your prompt responses, Sir. As you may have noticed, my auto skills are only so-so. Do you have any other advise that may seem like common sense to someone at your level of expertise that a novice like me might overlook for this job, i.e. general safety, or other things to look out for or keep in mind?

Most of this job is pretty straightforwad. About the only thing I can really add is that you keep your face away from the refrigerent mist as it vents. It wont cause you health issues, but will burn your eyes some if it gets in them. I put a rag over the connection as I loosen it for safety.

thanks and have a great rest of summer!