ClayA, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ten years experience, ASE Master and Advanced Level Specialist certifications. 2006 Winner National Ford/AAA Student Auto Skills

Chevrolet Impala LS: I was driving heard a sizzle in the dash

I was driving heard a sizzle in the dash and it quit, now it wont even turn over there is no dash lights or anything

It is common for the ignition switch to short out and fry. I would suggest checking it first. I can give you a link to a video on how to change it out on a similar car.

Here is the video link. Car is similar and replacement is shown about half way through.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try that but will that cause everything to be dead in the dash

I would suggest checking it to see if it is burnt or melted first.

Yes, this can cause everything in the dash to go dead. Also this can blow several fuses when it goes. So don't forget to check the fuses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK I will give it a shot hopefully tonight yet Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I pulled the ignition switch it is not melted or burnt and there was not any fuses blown. should I replace it anyway? THX Don

I would not replace the ignition switch yet. Since, this is not the normal easy fix lets do some diagnostic test first to try to pinpoint the problem.
Do you have a voltage meter?

If so does the red wire on the ignition switch have battery voltage?
Should be between 11-15V.
If you have the correct voltage then move on to the next question.

Now turn the key to the on positions and check the voltage on the Orange wire and the Dark Green wire.
What are the readings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do have a voltage meter but I can't get back to work on it until tonight I'll check those then and get back to you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The red wire starts at 181Mv and jumps up and down, orange is 5 Mv green is 5 Mv

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did run 12 volts directly to the red wire and it fires right up but I want to fix it right it does run that way so is there a fuseable link in there?

There shows to be a 60A IGN SW fuse in the under hood fuse block. Check it and see if it is good.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Checked already that was ok

Then the red wire from the fuse to the ignition switch has been damaged. There is one splice in the red wire. I will copy the service manual location below. Find the splice and see if that is where you are losing power.

It is now a matter of finding the bad spot in the red wire.

S234 Location
I/P wiring harness, behind the center of the I/P, approximately 32.5 cm (13in) form the ignition switch
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will check that tomorrow before work thanks

Your welcome.

If you can't find the problem you may have to run a new section of wire from the fuse block to the ignition switch. Just make sure the new wire is the same thickness as the old wire.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was wondering about that, would I have to have A fuse in the new wire or rely on the fuse box? it might take a day or two but Ill let you know how it comes out THX

You can use the existing fuse in the fuse block.