Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Chevrolet Tahoe: I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe, check engine light

I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe, check engine light is on..had it checked by my usual mechanic. He said EVAP code is 0440 and that he could see that the hose is broken and that the "fuel tank rollover valve assembly" needs to be replaced. The repair cost estimate is $500. I asked about just replacing the hose but he said he needs to replace the assembly. Is this a fair assessment of the problem and a fair repair price? What Tahoe assembly part is he talking about? (I had researched this EVAP code 0440 online but the term "rollover valve" isn't really used for the Tahoe so I thought maybe he's talking about the fuel tank filler tube and solenoid valve. I can't find cost estimates for replacement parts since I don't know the correct terminology.) Thanks.
P.S. (I'm not mechanically inclined but I always want to understand what's wrong with my cars and to pay a fair price.)

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. The fuel tank needs to be removed which is why this job is expensive because it is somewhat labor intensive. The rollover valve is on top of fuel tank and if the car rolls over the valve closes so fuel cannot leak into the evap system. If your not trying to spend money now this problem is only emission related and will not effect performance or driveability. It is about a 3 hour job labor which is typically around $300 then the part is around $200 so the quote he gave is fair. Here are replacement instructions so you can see exactly what he will need to do. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just what I needed to know! Thanks so much.

One quick question... Is the "rear EVAP fuel tank pipe" the same as the fuel tank filler hose? Or is it actually the fuel tank vapor hose that connects to the evaporative emission canister?

No, they are different. The Evap system allows fuel vapor from the tank to go back into the engine to help emission purposes. The evap pipe allows fuel vapor to travel through it back to engine. The fuel filer pipe is what allows fuel to enter the tank when filling it up. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.