Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

Chevrolet Cheyenne 1500: I have 98 Chevy 1500 brand new crate

I have 98 Chevy 1500 brand new crate motor installed 30,000 k ago I have acylinder4 misfire code coming up and now after a new distributer cap and rotor still get it and now I'm on my 3rd cap and it broke down misfiring all cylinders. Put another cap in it and its doin it again and this has all been in the last three weeks. Can anyone suggest what wrong and what to do? Thankyou

Why do you keep replacing the cap? is there something wrong with the ones you are taking off?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well the one I replaced a week ago the centre thing was melted ...any way I can call u?

Try a new coil wire.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can one wire tell me a single cylinder is misfiring , I cant see that. We have power

This is an external coil isn't it with a coil wire to the center of the distributor cap?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I believe so.

Ok, I thought you said it got worse untill all cylinders were misfiring and also melting the center of the cap.
Unless you went with all brand new spark plug wires and a coil wire. Is this fuel -injected or carburetor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Fuel injected,,,, im goin to put another cap on it now but it wont last only a week

Did you install all brand new spark plug wires and a coil wire?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Of coarse we did its a brand new motor. I have a new cap goin in now ..ill ride it out see what happens thanks
Ok, let me know if it still misfires on 4 or if all of them.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will do. It runs beautiful now but only for a couple hundred kms so ill see what happens.

Ok, if it burns up that cap center again, change that coil wire even if it is brand new.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK will do. Thanks for your input.
When we're done. We experts work hard and expect to get credit for our answers. When done, please click the "Rate to Finish" tab and then choose Ok Service, Good Service or Excellent Service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Was a timing issue the distributer was out one tooth. Thanks for nothing. I don't want any offers please