Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevrolet Impala: I have a 2006 Chevy Impala with a 3.5 engine.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Chevy Impala with a 3.5 engine. It has been leaking engine oil where the oil filter adapter mounts to the block. I was able to tighten a couple of the mounting bolts at one time but did not correct the problem. I have purchased a new gasket to go under the adapter but wonder what the easiest way of putting it in is (or is there a better way to correct the problem?).
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

1. Remove the oil filter adapter heat shield nuts.
2. Remove the oil filter adapter heat shield (2).
3. Remove the oil filter adapter bolts.
4. Remove the oil filter adapter (1) and gasket.

Reverse procedure to reinstall.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Car isn't here to look at right now so will ask a couple of questions that come to mind:

1. Any special tools required to reach the bolts?

2. Does anything else need to be removed from the car in order to have access to the heat shield and the adapter?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

The procedure is listed below.

graphic

1. Remove the drive belt
2. Raise and support the vehicle.
3. Disconnect the oil pressure sensor electrical connector (1).

graphic

4. Remove the oil filter.
5. Remove A/C compressor bolt and nut and reposition the a/c compressor. It is not necessary to discharge the a/c system.

graphic

6. Remove the oil filter adapter bolts and stud.
7. Remove the oil filter adapter and gasket.

Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Area around filter and adapter is cleaned up well, and new gasket is in. Now finding a small seep coming from top of filter. I felt the filter casing was hitting the adapter before the gasket on top got very smug so I tried a different brand filter with a thicker gasket. Still have a seep coming down the filter from the rubber gasket area. Any suggestion as to solution?

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Have you washed off the area with brake cleaner spray ( or equivalent) ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, that entire area was cleaned with brake cleaner and the surface that the filter gasket contacts is good and clean. I put a film of clean oil on the filter gasket before screwing it on and turned the filter a full turn once the gasket came into contact with the adapter. The area is clean enough that I am certain that the seeping is coming from the filter gasket.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

Are there any scratches or deformities to the filter adapter at this point?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it looks ok.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 1 year ago.

How tight are you installing the oil filter? You may want to try tightening it more than what the filter manufacturer specifies, just to see if you can get the leak to stop.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Looks like we're leak free now - thanks

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 12 months ago.
You are very welcome. Glad I could help

Dave