Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician
Experience:  30 Years Experience repairing, customizing, and building chevys.
9795573

Chevrolet Camaro Z28: I think my water pump broke on my SBC

I think my water pump broke on my SBC 350 but not positive. car was over heating so I removed and boiled the thermostat and it opened up, then filled block with water and started engine and water pumped out so now Im not sure what to think. Does water pumping from the block mean the water pump is good? The car set for awhile and has some rust inside the radiator could that cause the heating as well?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
How long did it sit up without running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unknown exactly but I would guess at least a year or more.
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

The rust can cause a lot of problems with heat transfer, and trigger overheating. On a small block chevy the water pump impeller is thick stamped sheet metal, it can rust away where the pump isn’t moving enough water. It is real tough to tell if this is the problem without pulling the pump off, and taking it apart. If you take it off a rebuilt or even a new pump is pretty cheap, ($20 to $30) and it would probably be smart to just replace it while it was off. You might also want to flush it out with some type of strong flush type product. If the radiator is plugged up flushing can help if it is the powdery rust residue stopping up the radiator. A little antifreeze will help prevent more rust from forming, but antifreeze wont clean up any rust you already have. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician
Experience: 30 Years Experience repairing, customizing, and building chevys.