Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Chevrolet Suburban 1500: I have a 2002 Chevy Suburban and on

I have a 2002 Chevy Suburban and on the DTC'S test two numbers came up they are Po178 And Po179 which is the Fuel Compensation Sensor Circuit low input and high input could you tell me part this is.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

The P0178 and P0179 codes set when the fuel composition sensor is faulty. Not much you can do to this sensor but replace it. It is located ahead of the fuel pump and fuel filter and is seen in the picture below. This sensor detects the alcohol concentration in the fuel and adjusts fuel injector pulse width to compensate. This is really only needed if E85 fuel is run in the vehicle. If you are looking to save money, the replicator is only about half the price of replacing the sensor, and easier to install. If you do not intend to run E85 in the vehicle then it is worthwhile to do. There really is not much benefit in running E85. It is cheaper but is also about 30% less efficient than gasoline so it takes a higher fuel volume (lower fuel efficiency) to run. Since these products are all about the same in quality and price, here are a couple I would recommend.

Fuel Composition Sensor Replicator

Fuel Composition Sensor Replicator - free shipping

graphic