Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician
Experience:  30 Years Experience repairing, customizing, and building chevys.
9795573

Chevrolet Camaro Z28: WONT SHIFT

Customer Question

WONT SHIFT
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

I have worked on these a lot. Can you tell me more, does it have reverse, does it have first, or first, and second but no third. Describe the problem in detail and I will point you in the right direction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm a mechanic also never got into trans work tho. I belive wont shift out of first . its my sis car . does have rev. she was told forward sprag I never came across that.

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

This is a 4L60E and it is totally electronically controlled, so keep this in mind. The electronics are not the only thing that might be a factor here, but you have to keep them in mind. If the trans does not upshift out of 1st, and the speedometer reads zero at all times, the problem is probably VSS failure. If so then the VSS needs to be replaced. There is a 1-2 electrically operated shift solenoid that can fail, if it bails it wont shift out of first no matter what else you do, if the VSS is good, I would look at this next.

There is also a 1 - 2 shift accumulator. It is basically a cylinder with a sealed piston, that has a spring behind it. When the fluid pressure is channeled to make the 2nd gear shift, it hits the 1 - 2 shift accumulator, it cushions the pressure so it wont bang into 2nd. If the the piston in this accumulator cracks real bad, you wont get a second gear shift. If the sprag is blown it wont move in 1st gear with the shifter in drive. But it will move in manual 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. It will actually shift 1, 2 , 3 manually with a bad sprag. I know this is a lot to dump into your lap at once, it can get a lot deeper too. These are some of the common things I have seen. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok bare with me now she says no reverse. I have a 700 r4 can I just power overdrive like on old hot rods ive done and use that trans ? I don't care about eng lights as long as sHifts right

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

A 700R4 will bolt right in, it is the same trans with hydraulic shifting instead of electronic shifting, like the 4L60E.. You probably want to reflash the computer, just tell the engine computer that is is a manual transmission, and it wont try to trigger lights, codes, it will keep it out of any limp mode it might try to put the engine into. There is a program called tunercat that will do it. Or you could just find a manual trans computer and pop it in. That would make the swap real clean and no one would even know. It would still run without ECM mods, but just be ready if you run into problems with it. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician
Experience: 30 Years Experience repairing, customizing, and building chevys.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

in the 4 pin plug what 2 pins do I need to power up I haven't done in about 5 years and thanks a bunch. and will torque con. work out of 4l60e ? yes right

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

There are a few different wiring setups offered on 700's, look at this video HERE, and see if it shows what you need. I like to pop the pan and double check the wiring, because of the differences. The converter, I have never tried to swap converters between a 700 , and a 4L60, I wouldn’t take chance, it is a pain to pull these back out if the converter swap caused problems. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

WILL 95 LT1 HEADS FIT 91 TPI Z28 MOTOR. THEY DESTROYIED MOTOR TRYING TO DRIVE I BOUGHT CAR. I HAVE MOTOR JUST WANT FUEL INJ AND EVERYTHING BACK I HAVE 69 302 Z28 HEADS ON MOTOR NOW INJ WONT BOLT TO THOSE RIGHT. INTAKE BOLTS ARE DIFF ANGLE RIGHT? ITS BEEN A BIT SINE I DID SWAPS

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

The 90's LT1 with the gear drive water pump is a reverse flow cooling system that cools the head first, instead of cooling the block first like all other small block Chevy's. The 95 LT1 also has a dry intake with no coolant passing through the intake at all. Bottom line is the LT1 heads will bolt to the TPI block, but the cooling system wont work. The Vortec heads will bolt onto TPI motor and increase power, They were patterned after the LT1 heads as far as flow goes. I dont know if Vortec heads will let you do what you want to do. If you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That vid didn't help me the plug I have has 3 wires pin a purple, pin b light blue , pin d brown blk strip. which pin do I have to put +/- to

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.
It has been a while since we talked, what you trying to turn on electrically, and what type trans did you wind up using. Let me know and I will help you get it figured out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry I used the 700 r4 . im trying to wire the plug on trans so od will work. its been so long since I did it I don't remember what I did.

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

I have a link with a write up on making the 700R4 work in a swap, it focuses a lot on the electrical. I believe it will tell you all you need. I will post a link for that HERE. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.