BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet Tahoe LT: Why does my AC in my 2001 Tahoe just stop

Customer Question

Why does my AC in my 2001 Tahoe just stop cooling after it reaches temperature setting? I has to be a sensor in the system, ambient / air flow etc. The system will freeze you out on the hottest Miami Days. I have driven home, left the car running and jumped the compressor relay and it works just fine. Also where are these sensors located?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.

BOBBYSS :

Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. Can you tell me what the temperature on the rear view mirror says? Does you vehicle have automatic a/c? Will the system start right back up after the vehicle is restarted?

Customer:

The mirror displays OC and no it does not resume working, sometimes it is the next morning before it will work.

Customer:

Yes it has the auto control with aux rear control for the rear a/c

BOBBYSS :

Okay. Thank you. This system does work with an input from the ambient air temperature sensor. If that sensor is no longer reading then this will occur. You need to start by replacing this sensor in the front of the vehicle. This is located under the passenger front parking light as shown.

BOBBYSS :

Full Size Image

Customer:

OK, think I saw it when I removed the bad horn but it was more toward the middle of the radiator frame.

Customer:

Bobby, I'll start there and if I need to do more will I be in contact with you, I prefer to stay with one Tech.

BOBBYSS :

Yes, just come back here with your findings and we can continue if necessary.

Customer:

Bobby, I ran to NAPA and replaced the sensor, I will see if this corrects the ac problem over the next few days but the temp on the rv mirror is still "OC". Thank you, Ski (XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX)

BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bobby,

Well replacement of the “ambient temp sensor” was not the answer, A/C cut out yesterday, was fine this am but cut out again after about an hour this afternoon and it is always in the heat of the day. It does not matter if the rear unit is on or off. It is not low on refrigerant, air flow is great, in fact when in auto the fan kicks into high when the cabin starts to get warm as it should. All dampers / doors work fine for air flow to the floor, top vents or both. I would think a high / low pressure switch would not take all night for the system to go back to operating correctly. Just seems there is a simple solution, what is it?

Thank you

xxxxxx

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked to see if there is still power at the compressor when it cuts out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bobby,

There is no power at the compressor, there is no "control power" to the compressor relay, I can jump the relay and the compressor will run and get cold..

Sorry for getting back late but went fishing in the Keys
Thank you

Ski

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back with me. I need one more bit of info to check some other inputs. Is this a manual or automatic system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Bobby,

This is an auto system, auto temp, auto vents, auto fan speed, all these functions work fine.

Thank you

Ski

Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 1 year ago.
The next place to check would be the pressure switches in the a/c system. The high or low pressure switches may be turning the system off and causing it to do this. If the switch is sticking internally then this will happen. I would also switch the clutch relay with a similar one to see if it is overheating and causing the internal coil to fail.