Neal
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS: at idle my 1986 monte carlo luxury

Customer Question

at idle my 1986 monte carlo luxury sport 305 runs great. when it idles for a while the service engine soon light comes on. then when i hit the gas, alot of light blueish to whitish smoke comes out the exhaust for a short while and the service engine soon light goes out. what causes this? its almost like there is not enough pressure to push the exhaust out at idle.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

It is most likely just the idle air control valve that is bad and it is making it load up and get rich when idling. I would definitely try another IAC valve first. You can try just cleaning it but it does not always work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i meant to add this to the original question but the codes it is pulling are 13 and 24. I don't know if this make a difference to your answer, but I have changed the O2 sensor twice with the same results. Now i will look up the IAC valve and see what this is about. Thanks

Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
The 12 is just showing the system is working, the 24 is for the speed sensor. That is likely unrelated, usually the IAC will not cause a code, so I would still be looking at it first.
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience: Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

code 13 not 12.

Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
That is showing a bad o2 sensor or a wiring issue going to the sensor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was told that my carburetor does not have an IAC value.

Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
I thought you had fuel injection which is what they typically had that year. Based on that additional information you will likely just need to have the carburetor rebuilt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

all 305 V8 engines for monte carlos were carburetors from 1986 to 1988. further, it is a recently rebuilt carburetor on my vehicle. l would like a refund please.

Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
My mistake I misread your year or mixed it up somehow after reading your first post. Has it done this since before or after the carb was rebuilt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has done this since before the carb was rebuilt.

Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
Does it smoke when you start it after sitting for a day or longer? How many miles on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes....162K

Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
Then it might just be bad valve guides, especially if it smokes after sitting. Based on all you have told me, this would seem to be the most likely problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm really not happy with this answer as it does not fully address my initial question. Once again, I would like a refund. I do not want another technician or my current technician to try to answer further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

huh?

Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I could not help. I will opt out.
Expert:  Neal replied 1 year ago.
Contact customer service to get your deposit back.