Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z71: my 06 avalanche just shut down

my 06 avalanche just shut down while I was driving, the dash display cluster went dead so I checked for fuses and the 40 amp ignition fuse popped so I replaced it and it popped too.
Any suggestions?
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to try and assist you with this.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

This 40 amp ignition fuse powers the started when the starter relay is energized to turn over the starter as well as the fuse feeds the electronic ignition switch and from the switch to various other fuses and electrical components off of those fuses...I hope I'm not to technical with this.

If you have no other fuses blowing then the short isn't on the ignition switch feed side most likely.The short is on the side where this fuse leads from the under hood fuse box to the ignition switch and starter relay.I have seen in some cases where rodents will get under the under hood fuse box and chew up wiring and cause this here.This should be inspected to see if there is any wiring damage under the under hood fuse box and if any is found it would need repaired to correct this here.

The wiring circuit for this short would need traced and some testing done to locate the exact short starting with checking wiring under the under hood fuse box.This type of fault does indicate a short in this circuit needing tracked down and repaired.

Thanks Pete

HERE
is my profile if you need anything in the future on your vehicle here,you can save it to your favorites and come back if you have any future questions on your vehicle (besides this question here).

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was the ignition switch

Kevin

Thats great to hear the problem has been located.Let me know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete