Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

2006 equinox overheating at idle

2006 equinox overheating at idle, fan is ok, thermostat replaced twice, flushed cooling system, bled air from system, seems to build up alot of pressure in system. When I bleed off the air in the system it seems to be ok for awhile. Haven't checked compression yet. I smell no coolant leaking, no coolant smell from exhaust, but the cooling system is drawing air pressure from somewhere. I have also changed the radiator cap.

do you ever need to add coolant?
has the engine ever been really hot?
explain to me how you bled the cooling system
tell me all you can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I have added fluid only after letting air pressure off by using bleader screw at the top of the water pump, otherwise I lose no fluid. The engine has been hot enough to lose fluid thru the overflow. The temp warning light has come on but I pulled over immediately And shut off the engine. That only happened once.
most times it only takes once of overheating to blow a head gasket or to crack an aluminum head..
but..lets try something here
sense you have worked on the cooling system,,it may still have some air in the system...lets not mess with the bleeder valve,,,lets bleed it this way

1,you need to remove the radiator/reservoir cap when engine is cold

2-start the engine and let it idle

3-turn the heater on high

4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed...some coolant may gush out with the air,so be careful

5-keep doing this until the engine is at operating tempeture,the heater is hot and the coolant in the radiator settles down

6-then install the cap

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
still overheating. Did what you asked heater did not blow warm air and temp gauge kept climbing. Thermostat is opening.
try that proceedure once again...if it doesnt work
this doesnt sound good,,you may have a blown head gasket,,..