Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

Chevrolet Tahoe LT: I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe. I just start

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe. I just start getting a whine, very sporadically, every once in a while I accelerate (noise gets loader under more RPMs). It's not present at idle. 80% of the time the noise is not there, and then it will just start and then go away. I heard it last night on my way home, and then it started about half to work this morning and then was gone by the time I got there.

I'm supposed to drive about 300 miles round trip for the upcoming weekend and was curious if this is something I should concerned about.

Does it have the noise like a fan belt that whines with engine RPM increase?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It sounds almost like a supercharger whine. Not high pitch at all like a fan belt can be.

Will it make the noise at a stop with the engine running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not that I can hear, if so it is very faint. When the noise is occurring, it's only under acceleration, or as the RPMs raise, and then drop off in neutral or when you let off the gas.

About the only thing we run into with this type noise is the fan belt tensioner pulley or idler pulley bearing. Sometimes you can feel it in the bearing once the belt is off but if its in the early stage of wear, you might not be able to feel it. Also if you can get it to make the noise with the vehicle stopped and you raise the RPM, then you can use a stethoscope to listen to those pulley bearings.

If you have further questions feel free to reply.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because this is so sporadic, and possibly in the early stages or wear, based on everything I told you, should I worry about driving it 300+ miles this weekend?

Hi Brian,

Sorry i forgot to answer that part :-)

We have seen these make this noise for many many miles before and i sure wouldn't worry about 300 miles. Just have it looked at when you get back.