Anthony
Anthony, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Certified
15218643

Chevrolet Silverado 3500 LT: 2001 Chevy 3500 4wd/4d/dully/duramax

2001 Chevy 3500 4wd/4d/dully/duramax diesel/130K miles. 2 years ago, check engine light came on, had local dealer run the code, told me I had a bad transimission and they could put a rebuilt trany in it for $5200. If I do not drive the truck for 2-3 weeks, get in and start it, put it drive, it MAY not move. If I put it back in park, turn it off and start it right back up, put it in drive it works fine... This has happend maybe once in the last year. If I just try to drive the truck at least once a week, I do not have any issues period. The dealer told me the tork converter in the trans is loosing pressure and could only be replaced... What is my issue?
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

When was the last time it was flushed with new fluid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Its been at least 25K since trans has been serviced

Thats all it needs. If the trans were bad, it would stay bad and not fix itself.

Change the filter and flush it out with new fluid....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What kind of shop should I be looking for to perform the service on the Allison 1000 trans?

fluidIt really does not matter. As long as they use Dexron VI fluid, it will work out. I'd prefer a trans only shop.