BigBob
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience:  Shop Manager with 25 years experience
13327319

After changing timing belt on 2010 Chevy Aveo keep getting

Customer Question

After changing timing belt on 2010 Chevy Aveo keep getting check engine light code P0366Type your question here...
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.
Greetings and welcome back!!!!!

Changing the drive will not have anything to do with this at all. How many miles on your vehicle and what model Aveo is it? This is a code for a signal problem on the exhaust cam phaser.

Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's a Aveo LT with 67400 miles. Had a mechanic do it and he is telling me that there is a spring in the exhaust cam and if it stretches it could have something to do with the code

Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I did not see the timing belt, I read drive belt. Yes there is a Cam phaser that has a spring in it. I would first recheck the timing belt alignment to make sure that it is not off a tooth, but it could just be the phaser went bad. So It could have been caused by the timing belt replacement. If they replace the phaser and it returns, could have just been caused by the tech in the first place.

Bob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where is the phaser located ? Is it a part of the camshaft. Mechanic told me he was going to change the camshaft!!

Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.
No not at all. There is one on the exhaust side and one on the intake side. This code is for the exhaust side.

graphic

Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wish there was a repair manual for this vehicle. I'll inform the mechanic and find out if he checked it.

Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.
There is online repair manual. Look up alldata diy online. there is a monthly subscription fee though.

Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks for all your help

Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.
No problem anytime at all. Even after rating as excellent you can always ask me follow up questions here.

Please let me know if I can help further,
Bob

PS: please don't forget to rate as excellent I do not get credit for my work until you do.
BigBob, Shop manager/technician
Experience: Shop Manager with 25 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the name of the part the Cam phaser? I could not find it online at Autozone auto parts.

Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.
Actually they call it Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve.

Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again,very helpful

Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I gave you the wrong picture. It is called a camshaft position sensor exhaust side.
Gm part # XXXXX XXXXX
graphic

Bob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked with mechanic he said he tested the sensor and it was OK. So he ordered a new camshaft. He thinks may have forced the cam and caused the spring in it to stretch. We'll see what happens should get it today and he can replace it tomorrow.

Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Let me know how it goes.

Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I sure will. Thanks again for your help.

Expert:  BigBob replied 1 year ago.
Anytime.

bob