Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.

Chevrolet Cavalier: 1996 Cavilier 2.2L. Intermittent crank

1996 Cavilier 2.2L. Intermittent crank no start. Cuatomer states the problem happens when he shuts the car off and then tries to restart it. Some times he has to wait a long time and then it will start. We have been largly unable to duplicate the problem. We did have a very brief moment when it did not start and were able to see that it had no injector pulse but we think it had spark. Unfortunately it started about the same time as we were checking for spark. I have been unable to find documentation on what might cause no injector pulse but still have spark.

Welcome back.

The PCM controls the ground side of the injectors. You would need to find out when there is no pulse, if you are loosing power or ground. A likely cause IS the PCM. We have had problems on the Cavalier where water gets into the connectors and into the PCM itself. It's pretty obvious, very corroded. There was actually a recall on these where we inspect the PCM for corrosion and add a shield to water out of it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! We will check this and I will let you know what we find.