Joel
Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.

Chevrolet Venture: When accellerating after 30mph our 2002

When accellerating after 30mph our 2002 Chevy Venture starts making a popping noise (knocking?) in what seems to be the upper right side of the engine. At first I thought there was something wrong with the right front tire, but the tire is fine. I tried putting a tank of high-test in the van & test drove it on the interstate for about 1mile - it seems to be getting worse. No noise below 30mph.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

Does the noise speed up as engine RPM goes up, or does the noise seem to be related to vehicle speed and not the engine speed?

Does the engine run smoothly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine seems to run smoothly - it seems more related to the vehicle speed.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

OK. Is it a constant noise? Like knock-knock-knock...

Does the noise change if you are driving and then turn the steering wheel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turning the wheel doesn't affect the noise. It sounds like popcorn popping in a microwave - above 30mph when I accelerate it knocks, the harder I accelerate the faster it knocks. When I back off the gas pedal (coasting above 30mph) it does not knock. When I accelerate under 30mph it does not knock.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.
HMM. OK. Put the van in park and rev the engine a few times. See if the noise is there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No knock when revving engine in park.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.
Try one more thing please. Put the van in drive, foot on the brake firmly, and rev it up a few times. Up and down. Be sure to rev it pretty hard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No knock doing that either.
Expert:  Joel replied 1 year ago.

OK. Then this does not sound like an engine noise. If it were, it should do it when revving in park, or especially in drive, since that puts a heavy load on the engine. This sounds like suspension problem.

A loose tie rod can give a noise like that, as well as worn out lower control arm bushing. These are pretty common. The faster the van goes, the faster the wheels spin, the more pronounced a loose component will be. I suggest having the front steering and suspension checked for loose components, especially those i just mentioned.

Joel, Auto technician
Experience: GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.