Joel
Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.
5217488

Chevrolet Silverado 3500: 03 chevy silverado 3500. Went to

03 chevy silverado 3500. Went to shift from reverse to drive and the column shifter seems to have broken, its very loose and "fell" down. The truck was then turned off and now can't be restarted because its stuck in reverse. Is there anything I can do to get it started and in drive to get it to a shop?

Hello and welcome.

Yes, you can manually shift the tryuck back into park, start it, then put it in drive. You will need 2 people.

One person in the truck with FOOT ON THE BRAKE.

Another must crawl under the drivers side.

You will have to pry the shift cable off the lever with a screwdriver between teh cable end and the lever, turn the lever into park, start teh truck, then turn it 3 clicks to drive.

WARNING: FOOT MUST BE ON BRAKE !

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I will try this and respond back in a couple hours to let you know how it goes. It just so happened to break while i was plowing 3 feet of snow from this horrendous blizzard so I have to go the persons house where I left it and finish shoveling it out :/ Thanks so much for the help.

OK. See picture i added to my last post.