Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.

Chevrolet 2500 hd 4x4: When I put my truck into reverse and

When I put my truck into reverse and accelerate suddenly from a dead stop it feels like something is coming apart in my drive train. It's a hard jolt like you have just backed into a car. It is very loud also. It doesn't do this in forward. If I accelerate slowly it doesn't happen.

Hello and welcome.

When in reverse does it only make the noise and feel on the initial acceleration, or will it continue as you keep backing up?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It only makes the noise and jolt on the initial acceleration then goes away.

You may just have a bad u-joint. Get under the truck with it in park and not running and grab hold or the driveshaft and try to turn it either direction, back and forth. Also grab the front and rear and try to move the driveshaft up and down. Look at the front and rear to see if there is excessive movement.

2. A bad engine mount or transmission rear mount. The drivetrain will move one way in drive and the other in reverse so a bad engine mount will let the whole drivetrain move up in reverse, but not in drive. You would need someone to put the truck in reverse, foot on brake and hit the gas a little while looking at the engine or rear trans mounts to see if everything is moving / jumping. Go from reverse to drive and look for a difference in the amount of movement of the trans and engine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could the rear output slip shaft splines be dry on the transfer case causing this to lockup.

No, dry would cause what you re describing. Something has to be loose, and therefore binding.