Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

Chevrolet 1987 2wd 3 quarter ton: I am currently in the process

I am currently in the process of buying a 1987 chevy pickup and it is a three quarter ton with a fuel injected 350 motor.XXXXXautomatic transmission. What i am wondering will i be able to install a 4 speed manual trans mission from a 1979 chevy halfton 4wheel drive. Will i have issues with pilot bearing fly wheel bell housing mating to this newer motor I no that GM made some engine changes in 1987 so I am trying to get sum answers
the 87 truck would just need a pilot bearing installed into the back of the crankshaft which is very easly done due to with it being an automatic there is not one there now
the flywheel will bolt right up to the 87 engine and the transmission will bolt right up to the 87 engine
just use the 79 flywheel and clucth set up
the 350 blocks where the same bolt pattern in 87 and 79
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will i have any issues putting this body of an 1987XXXXX3 quarter ton body on a 1975 chevy half ton 4wd frame I have installed a 1980 half ton 2wd on this frame before and I am sure that i wont have any issues besides changing floor pan but just checkin

you should not have any issues as for either the 79 or the 87 offered both manual and automatic transmission and you should have the floor pan clearance to accommodate either
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what i was getting at would the body of a 1987pickup mount up to a 1975 frame are all the mounting points of the frame and body the same from a 1975 frame to a 1987 body

acording to my information some of the body mounts will not.can you measure the mounts and locations on both and see which ones will not match ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have 1986 i might be able to measure what might be sum issues that you might be looking at that brings you to this conclusion

the location of the mounts on the frame for the cabs would be my concern
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just one more question will a 1986 4wd and 1987 2wd have the same frame mounting points a 1986 4wd is all i have to measure right now the 1987 is about 200 miles away

the same frame mountings for the body mounts 86 and 87 your asking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the 86 and 87 cab mount location should be the same