Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience.
5624692

Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4x4: I have a Chevy s10 1993 blazer. 4

I have a Chevy s10 1993 blazer.XXXXXwon't engage. I need schematics for shift mechanism, fuses and transfer case.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Hi!
What is the eighth digit of your vin?
Do you have buttons or a shift lever for your 4wd?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

w and I havea button the lights are not coming on.

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
The first thing to do is remove the TCCM fuse (5 amp) and leave it out for 1 minute. Then reinstall and see if any of the 4wd lights come on when you turn the key to RUN.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i need a schematic showing where the fuses are

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
The fuse block is under the dash on the driver side.
The fuses are labeled on the block. If you can't read the labels the TCCM fuse is at the bottom of the box to the left of the flasher. It is diagonally up and to the left of the fuse puller. Also pull the radio fuse (15 amp) which is 2 fuses up from the flasher.
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i'll get back to you.

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pulled the fuse and it worked. Then tried it again and no lights on switch.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you may have to do this several times. But normally this is because the sensors in the transfer case shift motor get dirty and can't tell the position. Try pulling the fuses and then shift between all the modes several times. Make sure to put it in neutral and go into 4lo mode too!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok it only goes into four wheel low in neutral. four wheel high won't engage on its own and not while the car is moving. both lights stay on when its engaged.

if I stop and just press four wheel high I can hear it and feel it go into four wheel high, but both lights stay on.

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
It is only supposed to go into 4LO when in neutral so that is fine.

Since both lights are coming on it sounds like the motor is not reporting the transfer case position correctly. These motors are a common failure. You could continue to try shifting it back and forth and see if it clears up or you can replace the encoder motor on the transfer case.

Dorman part # XXXXX
Cardone part# XXXXX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok this is now not gonna be done right away. So how do I get back in touch with you when we try what you said.

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 1 year ago.
You can reply back to this message anytime even after you rate my service. Just post a message and I will get back to you when I come online.