Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

Chevrolet Cavalier: where is the 2-3 shift solenoid on a 1998

where is the 2-3 shift solenoid on a 1998 chevy cavalier? we have a failure code and bought the part and have followed all directions given but cant find where it goes.

Hello I will help you with your question,

You have the 3 or 4 speed transmission?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure, it is an automatic

OK, I though I had diagrams for your location but I do not. I am going to OPT OUT of your question which opens it up to all the techs. I think someone will be able to help you with the location

Sorry I could not help

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The light in car dash says ETF off. The codes say there is a problem with a short circuit or failure of 2-3 shift solenoid. The car runs fine until 40mph then won't shift.
new expert here did you still need help ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. I wanted to know where the 2-3 shift control solenoid is in my 1998 Chevy cavalier? Can you refer to earlier conversation so I don't have to repeat story?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I still need help!

ok you removed the bottom pan on this transmission ?

and we need to know which transmission you have in the trunk on or under the spare time cardboard cover that you pull up for the spare tire should have a big white sticker on it can you tell me what the M codes are ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok...I have info my husband gave I hope it is correct. 4T40E (cm90)does that make any sense? My husband is not home and I am trying to get answers for him.

yes great job

ok the shift solenoids are located through the side cover # XXXXX in this first picture and the axle has to come out and the sub frame dropped down enough to slide that cover off

in the second picture is the locations of the shift solenoids # XXXXX there are 2 shift solenoids a 1-2 and a 2-3

the 2-3 shift solenoid has the colored wires of red and yellow 2 wires

once you find those colors that's the 2-3 shift solenoidgraphicgraphic

Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech