Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS: my 2001 monte wont start.replaced

my 2001 monte won't start.replaced battery. no start. door locks work, lights work, radio does not. funny electric sound when trying to start. horn works. no diff with new battery.
fine one night in garage, nostart in morn. 77000 miles on car.

going on a truck to gm dealer i guess. any thoughts?
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

Don't Forget, the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service, and not this website itself or your vehicle.

When turning the key to start, does the starter engage at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no starter activity

If you have a test light or voltmeter, test for power on the PCM/Crank fuse in the dash fuse panel while turning the key to Start. Let me know what you find there.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

car is in garage and i can't get open door enough to see with my glasses

If you can get to the CRANK relay in the underhood fuse panel, place your hand on this relay and have someone else turn the key to Start. See if you feel the relay click. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry,no one available to turn key. try to get someone to come to my house asap

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

pushed car out of garage and test light lit when turning key at pcm/crank fuse. no one here yet so i can feel relay. sorry

also have problems with cruise control not turning sometimes but came on when i turned fan blower on which also sometimes came on delayed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no click. decided to have car towed to gm car dealer mon. you were a help but i'm not a help to you. thank you for your input.

Check the ABS/PCM fuse in the dash fuse panel. If this fuse is okay, try swapping the Crank relay with one of the other relays in the fuse panel. If this still does not work then your problem is likely in the PCM (computer)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hey dave,

having car towed to dealer tomorrow(monday). thanks for your help

You are welcome. Best of luck to you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for your info, dealer replaced bcm(body control module). thought i'd let you know. and reprogramed it.

BCM failures are common on the Monte Carlo and Impala around the 2000-2002 models, but diagnosing the problem for certain does require an advanced scan tool such as the one the dealer has. Thank you for the update.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your help.if i had more than one car i think you could have saved me some money. gotta get me the old style ,no eloctronics, that i was able to fix.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have a good holiday. keep you in my book for future problems. next one will be about my fuel gage

Merry Christmas to you as well. Feel free to ask for me by name in the future.