ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

2000 chevy blazer is stuck in four wheel drive (4 low) How can I dissengage/disconect my 4

Customer Question

2000 chevy blazer is stuck in four wheel drive (4 low) How can I dissengage/disconect myXXXXX
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your problem. Can you tell me how the 4wd got into 4wd low?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its been acting up for some time now. It usualy starts off in 4wd but then goes into 2wd right after taking off with the lights on the push button flashing. This time though it is stuck in 4 low and wont come out
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.

Ok the correct way to get this out of 4wd low is to put the trans into neutral, then push the 2wd button, it should then shift. If it does not there really is no way to manually get this out of 4wd low the problem is very likely the shift motor on the transfer case but it would take some diagnostics to be sure of the problem. If you have that ability let me know and I will try to help any way I can.

'

Please let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried that already thats usualy how I would fix it when it wouldnt fix its self. Now it doesnt even respond whether its in nutral or any other gear. It first started when I wanted to use 4wd and upon engaging it it would pop out and the service light came on so I changed the transmission fluid and filter and tried it again and it was easier to engage but it still said service 4wd so I never used 4wd again and the next year I checked and added fluid to the transfer case but did not change it. Then it just started going into 4wd at start up and I would have to mess with it going from nutral to park while hold the 2wd button down and that seemed to work for about a year and now it wont respond to anything I do.

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
There really are only 2 options at this point, the first is to diagnose the problem and the second is to remove the shift motor and shift this manually (this can be done but its not easy), do this is manually the front drive shaft needs to be removed and the shift motor on the side of the transfer case removed, then a pair of pliers can be used to shift it and its kind of a guess on where to shift it at that point but with trial and error you should be able to get it into 2wd eventually.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to take out the front driveline or can I just raise the front tires off the ground?
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.

To get the shift motor off you have to remove the front drive shaft.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I put it back together once I get it in 2wd ? And is there something I can disconnect to make sure it can not go back into 4wd?
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 1 year ago.
Once you turn the cog in the transfer case you will not be able to get the shift motor back on so it will have to be left apart. You can put the front drive shaft back on.