Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Chevrolet impala: I have a 2006 impala 3.9 engine. just had

I have a 2006 impala 3.9 engine. just had plugs changed and got talked into have the air tract/ going in the fuel injectors cleaned. now the cars runs slugglish, brought it back. no problems they said. idles is rough while coasting to a stop/at a stop. 700-400 again and agian.
eating gas at a alarming rate. help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. I know your not going to like what I'm about to say but it sounds like the injectors may have been damaged or failed completely which would cause them to stick open which would explain the heavy amount of fuel being used. You can buy some seafoam from your local parts store and add it to tank once it gets below 1/4 of a tank to see if that helps if not the next step would be removing the injectors and checking to see if they are leaking while monitoring the spray pattern. I realize you were probably hoping for easy fix but that is not the case and I wanted you to get a answer instead of continuing to wait because everyone is afraid of negative ratings from a bad news answer. Please do not leave me a negative rating for the bad news. Let me know if you have questions or if you would like me to open question back up so you can get another opinion. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Seafoam to the 1/4 tank and then run to near empty? Also, I checked with the tech from work, told him the same details, mentioned something about the throttle body and mass air sensor. I will try the seafoam first, shoudl i follow the directions on the bottle or how much should i put in the tank?

I will be fair, I realize your are diagnosing from a distance.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

You can put the whole bottle in the tank. The throttle body shouldn't cause it to go through gas, the mass airflow sensor could but it is odd that it happened right after fuel injector cleaning. Let me know how it goes or if you run into any questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database