Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2000 chevy astro van..on acceleration engine hesitates and

2000 chevy astro van..on acceleration engine hesitates and speedometer bounces...extremely slow acceleration, everything works fine.....could it be the speed sensor on the transmission?
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Is the check engine light on? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no engine light

Did the acceleration problem and speedometer problem start at the same time? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes on normal acceleration it bounces up to 50 mph after that , no bouncing and engine runs great and trans shifts normally.

Does it run fine under hard acceleration at high speeds such as going to pass someone? Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no if I try to pass , it hesitates and speedometer bounces but normal driving over 50 no bouncing

It sounds like a ignition problem, usually when the vehicle speed sensor fails it causes transmission to shift erratic but will not effect engine performance and also causes the check engine light to come on. I would start by replacing spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions. You can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees if you run into problems. Thanks.