Joe, Driveability expert
Experience:  23 years import and domestic auto repair.

Need to know how to reset security codes on a 1999 chevy cavalier,2.2

Need to know how to reset security codes on a 1999 chevy cavalier,2.2 has a new pcm,new dash cluster and was resently reprogrammed at the ran fine,shut it off ,came back 2 hours later and engine would'nt start.code light was flashing.can you help.

Hello and thank you for using just answer! I am here to help you with your problem, so feel free to ask questions until you are satisfied.

Here is the procedure to relearn the passcode. If this doesn't work a scan tool will be needed to diagnose the problem.

Attempt to start vehicle (engine must crank). Leave ignition on until THEFT SYSTEM indicator turns off (approximately 10 minutes). Turn ignition switch off. Attempt to start vehicle. If vehicle starts, password XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do i only need to leave the ignition switch on for one 10 minute interval?

Yes, 99 model year only requires one 10 minute interval. Although, It doesn't always work the first time so you may have to repeat the procedure a couple times. Make sure the battery is strong, or connect a jumper to the battery during the procedure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

disconnecting the battery won't cause the pcm to reset?

No, the passcode still needs to be relearned, otherwise the car would be able to be stolen simply by disconnecting the battery.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll let you know how things go. thanks for the info...

Ok, just let me know if you need further help.