Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  Completed Auto/Diesel training. ASE Certified, Tech since 85
49095596

Chevrolet Impala: I have a 2008 Chevy Impala that has an antifreeze

I have a 2008 Chevy Impala that has an antifreeze leak I can't quite locate. I checked all the hoses and they look good. It looks like it may be coming from the part that is to the left of the water pump pulley and right below the power steering pump. I have no idea what this part is but it seems to be connected to the water pump is some way. It has a plastic cover with an electrical connector. What is this part and could the leak be coming from there? Where else should I check.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name isXXXXX am a Certified Auto Technician with 25+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. I don't know your automotive experience level, so I may have to ask questions of you before I can answer. I only know as much about your concern as you have stated in your post, so please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible.

Engine coolant leaks that have been detected on some 3.5L engines may be the result of leaking gaskets between the coolant crossover pipe and the front of the rear cylinder head.

.

There are a few different designs for the crossover pipe, but the leak is generally from the same area, the gasket in question is just below and to the rear of the power steering pump. Replacement of the crossover gaskets is necessary to fix this concern.

.

.

______________________________________

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either "Bad Service" or "Poor Service", please STOP and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue or question you have. I will be happy to continue helping and will do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

.

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

.

Robert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there one gasket for both sides of the coolant crossover passage or one gasket for each side? Also do I need to remove any other parts first to get to this gasket?

Hi Tom,

Ok, there is one gasket for each side of the crossover assembly. To replace the crossover gaskets, you must remove the Power Steering Pump and Alternator and any other Items that are mounted to the Crossover Asembly so that you can remove the crossover to access the gaskets. I was looking for some good illustrations but was unable to locate any close ups as needed...

If you need additional information, don't hesitate to ask, I am happy to help until your concern is resolved.

Thank you!

Robert