Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevrolet Equinox LT: I have an oil leak and am told its at

I have an oil leak and am told it's at the oil filter adapter gasket... How do I change that and what parts and supplies do I need?
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

Don't Forget, the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service, and not this website itself or your vehicle.

The oil filter adapter is easily removed. After removing the oil filter, there are 3 bolts that hold the adapter to the side of the engine block. The only part needed is the new gasket and perhaps 1/2 quart of oil to top off oil level after removal of the filter. The replacement gasket is available through the dealers parts department or most auto parts stores. When reinstalling the adapter, torque the bolts to 18 ft.lbs. The picture below also shows the oil filter bypass valve, this will stay in the block when removing the adapter, leave it in place there is no need to remove the valve when replacing the gasket.